Sensitive data stored in a cookie detected.
- Rule ID: ruby_lang_cookies
- Languages: ruby
- Source: cookies.yml
Storing sensitive data in cookies can lead to a data breach. This rule looks for instances where sensitive data is stored in browser cookies.
❌ Avoid storing sensitive data in unencrypted cookies messages:
cookies[:user_email] = "email@example.com"
✅ To ensure cookie data stays safe, use encrypted cookies:
cookies.encrypted[:user_email] = "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Cookie object documentation: ActionDispatch::Cookies
- Demystifying cookie security in rails 6
- CWE-315: Cleartext Storage of Sensitive Information in a Cookie
- CWE-539: Use of Persistent Cookies Containing Sensitive Information